Sadhvi was born in Bhind, Madhya Pradesh. Her father, Dr. Chandrapal Singh, was a well-known ayurvedic doctor who used to treat patients free of cost through natural herbs. He was quite popular in Bhind.
Dr. Chandrapal was also a god fearing Hindu. He used to recite Bhagwad Geeta daily and Pragya used to sit with him during that time. Gradually, Pragya developed deep interest in Hindu Philosophy and started to probe the spiritual world. She became a Sadhvi at a very young age, but continued to study and Pragya has done M.A. in History.
The effect of Bhagwad Geeta could have been seen on her !
She was quite a daring girl. She used to drive bikes and organize self-help groups for girls. She always campaigned for girls’ education and woman empowerment. And soon, she became quite popular in the Central part of India.
Rise as Hindu Activist:
Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur studied and completed M.A. History at the local Lahar College in Bhind. During the college time, she enrolled in the Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad (commonly known as ABVP). ABVP is the student wing of RSS and is most active in colleges and universities.
Sadhvi Pragya being a born leader, showed her traits and rose to prominence. She became renowned for her patriotism that shined through her fiery speeches on Hinduism and India’s unity. As a result, she quickly gathered a large fan following and eventually became the state secretary of ABVP. Furthermore, she was also a very active member of Durga Vahini, the women subsidiary of Bajrang Dal. Later, she formed the Vande Mataram Jan Kalyan Samiti.
She known for: Sheer patriotism and love for the motherland
She Work for: Hinduism and India’s unity
She Followed: Lord Krishna’s teachings
Being a right-wing leader, she commanded immense respect among the RSS activists and members.
Her stand against Terrorism and Congress Government’s weak policy against anti-India organizations sparked various controversies and debates. But even under immense political pressure, she never backed off from her words. As our country is plagued by frequent terrorist attacks, she always felt that Hindus should openly come forward and unite against terrorists.
Her stance was often supported by various VHP and BJP leaders to gain political mileage and support of the Hindu population.
Malegaon Blasts and Arrest :
On 29th September 2008, three simultaneous bomb blasts occurred in Gujarat and Maharashtra. Two bombs blasted in Malegon, Maharashtra and one in Modasa, Gujarat. A total of 8 people were killed and various were injured. Pragya Thakur along with two others was arrested in her involvement in the blasts by the Maharashtra ATS (Anti Terrorist Squad).
Though there was no clear evidence or proofs against Sadhvi Pragya, still ATS took her into their custody for several days without even the approval of a magistrate. In the prison, she was gruesomely tortured and interrogated by the officials. Even then, ATS couldn’t prove her direct involvement in the case. The only link they had with Pragya was, a motorbike registered on her name was used for the bomb blast. Though, she had already sold that bike four years prior to the bomb blasts.
Almost nine years have passed the Malegaon incident and still ATS or the police don’t have any concrete evidence against Pragya Singh Thakur to prove her guilty.
Health Problems :
Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur had developed various life threatening diseases during her stay in the jail. She has been suffering from serious health problems including a heart attack, a partial paralysis and a stage 3 Breast Cancer. Even with her worsening health, she hasn’t backed off from her initial stand and maintains her innocence in the case. Government of India and the Supreme Court has not brought any justice to her pending case, neither they have granted her bail due to her deteriorating health conditions.
Political Mileage by BJP
When, she was arrested without proper evidence.
Various BJP leaders, most prominently Uma Bharati had openly shown support to Sadhvi Pragya Thakur, Many BJP leaders had spoken in her favor and bashed Congress Party (in rule at that time) for their ill policies against RSS activists.
Though, BJP came into power in 2014 with Narendra Modi becoming the Prime Minister of India. But contrary to their previous support to Pragya, BJP has kept mum over the incident and are maintaining a status quo over the issue. Even Lt. Col Purohit, who was also convicted with Sadhvi Pragya in the Malegaon blasts, had written a letter to Prime Minister Modi to serve justice, but it was in vain as the letter was never answered.
Perhaps, our dear Prime Minister is too busy in other affairs!
It seems that BJP had previously landed support to Sadhvi Pragya, only to gain emotional support of Hindu voters and gain some political mileage against Congress.
But as soon as they came in power, they have shown their true colors as well!
Because in Politics, nobody is a true friend or a true enemy!
Arrest and Torture of Pragya Singh
Pragya was arrested for her alleged involvement in the Malegaon blast case. Anti-Terrorist Squad of Maharashtra had found her bike on the crime scene. In fact, her bike was planted there. ATS arrested and then tortured her severely without even presenting her before magistrate.
She had also presented the documents of the bike which proved that she had really sold that few years ago. The only link which she had with the blast was this bike which as per government records sold few years back. But, ATS was not ready to give any heed.
Pragya was first beaten with leather belts by two male police officers. They then didn’t give her to eat anything for 24 hours. They were asking her to accept that she was behind Malegaon blast. She tried to convince them that she can never involve in killing of innocents. But, ATS, led by late Hemant Karkare, who was quite close to Sharad Pawar and Digvijay Singh, was not ready to listen. Pragya was asked to watch pornographic films/blue films along with other male under trials. ATS officers couldn’t take an affirmative statement from Sadhvi, though.
A disciple of Sadhvi Parga, Bhimbhai Pasricha, was asked to beat her by Karkare led ATS. Pasricha started to week bitterly and refused to comply with the order. In reply, officers beat him severely and a then the broken man under immense pain did apply minimum possible force on Sadhvi. At that time, both Sadhvi and Pasricha were weeping while ATS officers were laughing out loudly.
One officer questioned her about chastity. He asked how much time she had made physical relations. She was called a ‘randi’ by officers.
Pragya told the court she was abused and tortured physically. Her relatives moved an application before the court alleging they weren’t allowed to meet her in jail. Umesh Walzade, Pragya’s lawyer, filed the affidavit on behalf of her. The sadhvi, in her affidavit, said during her “illegal detention” at the ATS headquarters in Mumbai, she was beaten day and night. “On two occasions I was even woken up in the early hours of the morning and questioned about my knowledge of the Malegaon blast. I was beaten by a senior officer having moustache, whom I can identify. I was subjected to vulgar abuse and obscene language by members of ATS.”
Sadhvi’s lawyer Ganesh Sovani said that she was assaulted by an officer named Kanvikar.
This is a disgrace that a woman and that too a Sadhvi is mistreated, harassed and tortured in a country which once held women and its seers with highest honor. Those officers abusing the Sadhvi should be arrested and brought to books.
She has not even been read out and informed by the police, by the hounding government or even by her own lawyers of the charges being levied on her. She is not informed about the submissions made in her name which were done in a language, English in this case, that she cannot even understand. How fair is this?
The sadhvi asked the court to provide her the Hindi translation of the submission made by her lawyers, which was in English, as she could not understand it. “Mujhe maloom nahin mera kasoor kya hai (I do not know what is my crime),” she told the court.
Thakur said in court,“The ATS threatened to strip me naked and hang me upside down. They questioned me in the night, using the filthiest possible language. There were times when I was beaten up so badly, that my hands turned black.”
In chaste Hindi she added, “I am a sanyasi. I give discourses on Ramayana and Mahabharata. They told me they wanted to burn copies of the holy texts. They made me hear an obscene CD.”
The others — Ajay Rahirkar, Shivnarayan Kalsanghra and Shyam Sahu — also alleged torture by the ATS.
Narrating his days in police custody, Lieutenant-Colonel Purohit said: “On November 5, I was taken to a safe house in Khandala. There the ATS conducted sustained interrogation for four or five days. My physical torture began from November 6.”
Lieutenant-Colonel Purohit told Additional Judge Y.D. Shinde: “I was beaten very badly. My legs were spread 180 degrees. I was not able to walk. My wrists were also tied to a pole. As a result, I cannot use the fingers of my right hand and there is no sensation in my hand from the wrist upwards. ATS officers told me that they would plant RDX in my houses in Pune and Pachmarhi. I was interrogated by the Haryana, Gujarat, Rajasthan and Andhra Pradesh police and the CBI.
“The Haryana police and the CBI threatened me with an encounter. The ATS has threatened me in a similar manner a number of times. Their officers used obscene language about my mother and questioned my paternity. Moreover, they threatened that my wife and sister would be paraded naked and raped. I am confident that I am not going to get a fair treatment from the ATS.”
Here is the copy of Affidavit submitted in Nashik court on behalf of Sadhwi Pragyan Chandrapal Singh Thakur in which she has complained (specifically in point # 11 and 12) that she was physically beaten with a belt and sexually harassed by Anti-Hindu communal Congress-NCP controlled ATS.
C.R. NO. I – 130/08
(RE-NUMBERED AS C.R. No. 1 – 18/08 at ATS)
State of Maharashtra: Complainant
Sadhwi Pragyan Singh Thakur & Ors: Accused
I, Sadhwi Pragyan Chandrapal Singh Thakur, Age 38 years, Occupation — Nil, residing at 7, Ganga Sagar Apartment, Katodara Road, Surat, Gujarat State do hereby state on solemn affirmation as under:
- I say that I am a resident of Madhya Pradesh. My parents live in Surat, Gujarat where they shifted residence a couple of years ago. I say that for some years now, I found myself becoming increasingly detached from the material world and correspondingly found tremendous comfort and solace in Spiritualism. Accordingly I decided to renounce the material world and become a Sanyasin. On 30.1.2007, after performing the appropriate Hindu Religious rites and prayers I became a Sadhwi. I say that ever since then, I have been residing in a ashram at Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh. My life at the Ashram almost exclusively consisted of prayers, meditation, yoga and the reading of spiritual texts. At the ashram I did not watch TV channels and had practically no access to newspapers.
- I say that apart from my activities at the ashram, I travelled chiefly around North India for the purpose of religious discourses and sermons. In connection with these latter activities, between 23.9.2008 and 4.10.2008, I was in Indore where I stayed at the residence of one Annaji who is my disciple. In the evening of 4th October, 2008, I returned to my ashram in Jabalpur.
- I say that on 7.10.2008, when I was at Jabalpur Ashram, I received a call from a police officer from the ATS, Maharashtra, called Mr Sawant, who wanted to know about my LML Freedom vehicle. However, I told him I had sold it long back and not concerned with it. However, he insisted me to come down to Surat as he wanted to question me at length about it. I was reluctant to go to Surat by leaving the Ashram and insisted for him to come down to Jabalpur, but he refused and told me to come down to Surat as early as possible.
- I further say that accordingly I travelled to Surat by train via Ujjain and arrived at Surat on 10.10.2008 early in the morning and my disciple Shri Bhimbhai Pasricha had to receive me at Railway Station and I went to his place at Atop Nagar.
- I say that here at about 10 AM, I met officer Mr Sawant who had apparently travelled to Surat to trace the ownership of a LML Freedom two wheeler and I questioned him as to what had happened to my vehicle and why you are asking about it. I say that I it was at this point time, Mr Sawant told me that my vehicle had been allegedly planted with the explosives and subsequently detonated in Malegaon in the last week of September. I also say that it was here for the first time, I came to know that my old vehicle had been allegedly used in Malegaon blast, which was completely shocking to me. I confirmed to Mr Sawant that the LML Freedom 2 wheeler of the colour and number, he mentioned had once belonged to me.
- I say that in Surat during the course of my interrogation with Mr Sawant, I mentioned to him that the LML Freedom two wheeler once owned by me was subsequently sold to one Sunil Joshi of Madhya Pradesh way back in October, 2004 and that Mr Joshi had paid me Rs 24,000/- for the same. I had also signed the necessary TT Form for RTO transfer in October, 2004 itself. I categorically asserted to Mr Sawant that since October, 2004 I had no control over the vehicle or its movements and usage.
- I further say that in spite of my answers, Mr. Sawant repeatedly asked me how the vehicle reached Malegaon and how it came to be involved in the bomb blast on 29.9.2008. I repeatedly replied that I could not answer his questions as I had no control of the vehicle since October, 2004.
- I also say that Mr Sawant however informed me that he did not believe me and that I would have to accompany him and his ATS team to Mumbai for further interrogation and he assured me that after such interrogation I would be free to go back to my ashram.
- It is significant to mention that I was not formally arrested on 10.10.2008. Even though no formal summons to attend as a Witness was served upon me to make my self available for interrogation in Mumbai, and even though I was within my rights to insist that I be interrogated at the place where I reside ie Jabalpur, trusting Mr Sawant and having nothing to hide, I agreed to accompany the ATS team to Mumbai. I say Mr Sawant told me take my father along with me. However, due to his old age, I told him it was not proper take down him to Mumbai and suggested that my disciple, one Mr Bhimbhai Pasricha, in whose very residence my questioning was being done by the ATS. I further say that at 5.15 PM myself, Mr Pasricha and the ATS officer left Surat and reached Bombay on the very night of 10.10.2008. In Bombay I was taken straight away to the ATS office at Kalachowkie.
- Thereafter for two days I was detained and interrogated by the ATS team in Mumbai. The questions were repetitive and directed at somehow involving me in the bomb blast in Malegaon on 29.9.2008. My answers remained constant throughout.
- I further say that on 12.10.2008 the ATS changed the mode of interrogation and became extremely aggressive with me. At first they asked my said disciple Mr Bhimbhai Pasricha to beat me with sticks, belts etc, on my palms, forehands, soles, etc. When Mr Pasricha refused to do so, he was severely beaten by the ATS. Ultimately with the greatest reluctance, he complied with the ATS orders but obviously being my disciple, he exerted the very minimum of force on me. He was then pushed aside by a member of the ATS squad knows as Khanwilkar, who then himself commenced beating me severely with a belt on my hands, forearms, palms, feet, soles, causing me bruises, swelling and contusions in these areas.
- I say that from the 13th onwards, I say that I was beaten during the day, night and midnight . On two occasions I was even woken up in the early hours of the morning at 4 am and questioned about my knowledge of the blasts. On these occasions, I was beaten by a senior officer having a moustache, whom I can identify. In addition I was subject to vulgar abuse and obscene language by members of the ATS team interrogating me. My Guru was abused and my chastity was questioned. I was physically and verbally traumatised to the extent that I wanted to commit suicide.
- I further say that on 14th taken out for the examination at a far away place from ATS and was brought back in the afternoon and that I day I had no meeting or even knowledge about Mr Pasricha.
- I say that on 15th October, after noon, both myself and Mr Pasricha were taken by ATS vehicles to Hotel Rajdoot in Nagpada locality of Mumbai and were kept in Room Nos. 315 and 314 respectively and we were made to sign the Hotel Entry register, however, we did not pay or deposit any money with the hotel manager, which was done by the ATS.
- I say that after putting into this hotel I was asked to make phone calls from mobile No. 94066 00004 and from one more mobile instrument not belonging to me to speak couple of persons including one of my female disciple and I was asked to say that I was in a hotel in Mumbai and hale & hearty and was doing fine. I say that at that time, I did not know why I was made to say so. I would reveal the name of my female disciple at an appropriate time.
- I say that as a result of the custodial violence/torture, mental stress, anxiety that were developed in the process, I was subjected to, I developed acute abdominal and kidney pains. I lost my appetite, became nauseous and giddy and prone to having bouts of unconsciousness. In view of this, within few hours after putting in Rajdoot Hospital, I was removed from the ATS office and was taken a hospital which learnt it to be Shusrusha Hospital wherein I was kept in ICU. I say that within half an hour Mr Bhimbhai Pasricha came down to Shushrusha Hospital with some ATS men and my Hospital admission forms, and other medical examination forms, etc were signed by him. I say that Mr Khanwilkar deposited money to the hospital management for me, which I learnt from Mr Bhimbhai. I say that after some time Mr Pasricha left the Hospital along with the ATS men and thereafter I have no contact with of any nature.
- I say that I underwent a treatment over here for 3 to 4 days. I say that as my condition did not improve, I was taken to another hospital whose name I cannot recall. This hospital consisted of a high rise building where I was treated for 2 to 3 days. I say that no female police constable was by my side either in Hotel Rajdoot or in either of the two hospitals.
- I say that both at the hotel and the hospitals, I was carried on a stretcher and my face was always covered with a black hood to avoid my face from being seen. From the second hospital, I was brought back to the ATS office at Kalachowkie.
- I say that I was finally arrested on 23.10.2008 and produced before the Chief Judicial Magistrate, Nasik on 24.10.2008. I was remanded to police custody on that date till 3.11.2008. Up to the 24.10.2008 and even sometime thereafter, I was denied access to a Lawyer or any member of my family. A polygraph test was conducted on me while I was in illegal detention prior to 23.10.2008. Thereafter a second polygraph test was conducted on 01.11.2008. On 04.11.2008, after I was remanded to Judicial custody on being presented before Nasik court on 03.11.2008, I also say that a Narco analysis test was also conducted on me.
- I say that both the lie detector test as well as the Narco analysis test were conducted with out my consent. Never the less all these investigative tests have only established my innocence in the Malegaon bomb blast that took place on 29.9.2008. I finally was allowed to meet my sister Mrs Parthibha Bhagwan Jha on the evening of 02.11.2008, who had brought vakalatnamas of Advocate Ganesh Sovani who was engaged by my sister and her husband Mr Bhagwan Jha and had met him couple times in that week. This meeting was not conducted in private since members of the ATS stood within hearing distance of my sister and myself. I met my Advocate Ganesh Sovani for the first time in the court room of this Hon’ble Court very briefly for 4 to 5 minutes prior to the arguments commencing on my remand application on 03.11.2008.
- I say that this period of 4 to 5 minutes was too short for me to give complete instructions as to what had transpired from 10th October onwards, about my vehicle, my stay at Kalachowkie, my illegal detention, the ill-treatment mitigated to me by ATS men, the beating job that was forced on my disciple to beat me, but which he carried out reluctantly, without any force, etc. I say that for this reasons, all the details had not reflected in the hand written application that was placed on record by my advocate Mr Sovani, for paucity of time to give all these instructions.
- I say that on the evening of Wednesday 12.11.2008, I was allowed to meet my Advocate Ganesh Sovani for about 5-6 minutes again in the presence of female staff of Byculla jail. I say that again on 13.11.2008 I was allowed to talk to my said lawyer for 8-10 minutes to give him some more details. Thereafter, on Friday 14.11.2008 evening at about 04.30 PM, I was given nearly 20 minutes to talk to my said lawyer at length, and it was during this period I could narrate my entire ordeal with the ATS which is reproduced herein above.
- I unambiguously state that I am totally innocent of any offence whatsoever. In particular I have no connection with the Malegaon bomb blast of 29.9.2008. While my former ownership of LML Freedom 2 wheeler, which was allegedly used in the Malegaon bomb blast entitled the ATS to interrogate me, that agency was not entitled to subject me to the treatment mentioned herein above. Their conduct discloses a blatant violation of statutory provisions of law, custodial abuse and violence, mental and physical torture and prolonged illegal detention. The ATS are fully aware that I am innocent. It appears however that they have a mandate from their political superiors to necessarily implicate me with Malegaon blasts with a view to suggest that Hindu Religious extremists were resorting to terrorism. The prolonged illegal detention, custodial abuse and physical torture were designed to compel me to confess to crimes I had not committed. This attempt of false implication persisted for the entire period between 10.10.2008 and 02.11.2008 . During this entire period I was deliberately isolated from my family and denied access to Lawyers. I say that no arrest panchanama was done after my arrest on 23.10.2008 and I was never asked about the names, addresses and telephone / mobile Nos. details to whom I would like to convey my arrest. I say that attention from my illegal detention was sought to be diverted by the ATS by daily leaking information regarding my involvement which was manifestly false and only indicated the malafide nature of the investigation..
- I say that While I was thus painted as a sinister mastermind of the Malegaon blasts, a role which has now been subtly reassigned by the ATS to Lt Col Purohit — crippled and vulnerable as I was by the detention, abuse and torture, I could not protest my innocence. Nor was I allowed access to family, friends and Lawyers who could have done so.
- I say that it is necessary that a detailed enquiry of my illegal detention, custodial torture, etc needs to be done and for which I am ready and willing to get subjected to any such medical test or tests and I also want the ATS officers, who interrogated me, tortured me, etc should also be put to the same tests.
- I say that the ATS has caused blatant violations of my human rights and I should get a justice and they need to be adequately dealt with as per the provisions of law.
- In the circumstances I now pray for the following relief:
- a) that the ATS be directed to submit an explanation for my detention without authority of law between 10.10.2008 and 23.10.2008;
- b) that enquiry/investigation be conducted into my accusation made hereinabove on oath, regarding custodial torture/violence and mental and psychological abuse;
- c) that such investigation as referred to in (b) above, include a polygraph test, as well as Narco analysis on me to determine the veracity of my accusations;
- d) that such investigation to include a polygraph test and narco analysis on officers of the ATS named by me, and also of those officers whose names, I do not know, but I can identify, for they subjecting me to mental and physical abuse during custody as well as others to be identified by me;
- e) that a report be called for from the ATS for the reasons of my admission in two hospitals (Shusrusha an another) and the medical treatment undergone by me at the said two hospitals;
- f) The ATS be directed to disclose the reasons for my stay at Hotel Rajdoot at Mumbai.;
- g) For such further and other reliefs as may be fit and proper in the facts and circumstances of the case.
Filed in court on 17.11.2008
Contents Explained to the
Deponent in Hindi &
Confirmed with Deponent.
Identified by me:
Is this democracy? Is this constitutional to charge someone and drug them repeatedly to make them confess of crimes for sham political gains? Just because she is a Hindu, she is being harassed like this. It is no ones guess that Hindus or the so-called Majority have no rights in India.
There are no limits when it comes to Police Brutality on innocent Bharatiya citizens especially Hindus by the Anti-Hindu ATS, a tool of Antonia Maino aka Sonia Gandhi’s CONgress govt. They made Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur watch Pornographic CD, intimidated her and threatened her to hang naked upside down, and all this in front of male officers only. But this is not it, they even wanted her to burn Hindu’s holy scriptures Shri Ramayan and Mahabharat. Disgusting!
After 9 year, Bomabay high court granted bail to sadhvi pragya. In her first press confresnce after getting bail, She told ,
“I am a victim of congress conspiracy and have suffered injustice for nine years”
“This was certainly a conspiracy hatched by the Congress-led UPA government, which resulted into my nine-year ordeal. It was to endorse the bogey of saffron terrorism, a term coined by P Chidambram ( a former minister). I am innocent.”
“The physical and mental torture that I have suffered has never happened with any woman in the histroy of either British or Independent India.”
“I was physically fit. I am a sanyasi. Now, I am dependent due to the torture inflicted on me by Mumbai ATS. ”
She has been convicted for the crimes, she never did. Still the brave daughter of India is keeping enough will power to fight for justice.
We at 360Hinduism, pay our deepest respects to her and wish huge respect in the hearts of all patriot Hindus and Indians. And soon she will compare like of Chandrashekar Azad and Bhagat Singh.
We hope, this cover story will act as an eye opener for all who think she is not innocent.